One week is all I have left of my freshman year here at The College of Saint Rose. It has brought me so much joy, and I am so sad it’s almost over! In my freshman year here I have learned so much, and I thought it would be nice to share some of my tips/lessons.
1. Classes – Going to class is crucial to good grades. Many professors allow a day or two to miss because lets face it we aren’t robotic, sickness happens. So, if you need a sick day take one, but next time you’re thinking of skipping, do some math in your head. You’ll find out skipping one class can cost you a lot, money and learning wise!
2.Sickness – Getting sick is going to happen. You’re surrounded by people ALL the time, and people spread germs. So keep some tissues and cold medicine by your bed at all times.
3. Doing Laundry – One thing to keep in mind: Don’t be that person that leaves their clothes in the washer or dryer for an extended amount of time. Someone will take them out! (I don’t know about you, but I don’t want someone else touching my clothes.)
4. Friends – The friendships you make on campus will help you so much. They will be the people you laugh with, cry with, be lazy with. Oh and if you’re like my friends and I, you’ll watch a ton of Disney movies to feel like kids again and scream the lyrics so loud people will question your sanity.
5. Campus Involvement – Getting involved on campus in more than academics will not only help that resume, but it will help you grow as a person. Our campus offers so many clubs like S.E.B or Spectrum. Activities like Friday Knights are a great way to volunteer and give back. Events are always happening and allow for everyone on campus to come together and be the community we are!
6. Exercise – Let’s face it, first time living without mom and dad, you have two choices: dining hall or making your own food. Either you’re probably not going to eat the healthiest, and while you might feel wild, free, and happy to make your own decisions, your pants may not agree. Remember to stay active, go to the gym, do yoga (We have classes on campus!) or get some friends together to do group workouts.
7. Library – Go to the library! Staying in your room and trying to focus may not get you anywhere but trouble. The library is there for a reason and they have comfy chairs and great hours!
8. Sleep – You know how babies love to nap and sleep a lot? Consider yourself a baby… just in college. Sleep is your new best friend and enemy all in one. When you have a ton of things to do, what’s the first thing you want to do? Sleep. Let me tell you, sometimes you will just sleep, and other times you won’t. Naps will be a gift, and you’ll learn to sleep in weird places like curled up on a library chair while doing an eight page paper.
9. Papers – Speaking of papers, you will write a bunch of them and it will be very brutal. Don’t say I didn’t want you!
10. Finals – Finals week is like a zombie apocalypse and you’re the zombie. That final week is the only thing standing between you and sweet, sweet break. It is also one of the toughest weeks where sleep is minimal and where you wish coffee could be an IV because you will drink ALOT of it.
Overall, freshman year will teach you more than you think. You will come out of it a different person from growing and learning. College is one of the best times of your life. This year has been such a phenomenal year for me and I hope for most freshman too!