“Professor Shout-Out!” is a rotating Saint Rose blog series that faculty contribute to.
Dr. Angela Gordon, Business Department, Associate Professor of Business Administration. Has been with Saint Rose since 2006.
- Where did you attend school? Russell Sage College, 1998 B.A. in Psychology with a concentration in chemical dependency counseling. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2000 M.S. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. University at Albany, 2007 Ph.D. in Organizational Studies with a concentration in organizational behavior
- Where have you been employed? “During college, I worked for temp agencies so I was exposed to many local companies. I highly recommend this experience! I also worked for St. Peter’s as a chemical dependency counselor, where I quickly learned that I’m not cut out for that type of emotional labor. I also worked in the human resources department of a large Albany law firm. Once I started my doctoral program, I started to adjunct at local colleges and universities.”
- Did you always want to teach? “Yes! My dad tells me that when I was a little girl, I would line up my stuffed animal and “teach” them. Fast forward several years, I took an honors seminar my first year at Russell Sage and we were challenged to find our passion. Mine was a no-brainer: teaching.”
- What classes do you teach at Saint Rose? Fundamentals of Business (our first-year business students’ experience), Organizational Behavior (undergraduate and graduate), Human Resource Management (undergraduate), Organizational Staffing (undergraduate), Leadership (undergraduate and graduate), Management and Communications (undergraduate), Communication and Social Responsibility (graduate), Analysis of Business Literature (graduate)
- Highlight of academic career, thus far: “I have three. My first was earning my doctorate while having two children during the process! My second was when I was offered the teaching position here. As I drove away from my interview, I knew that I would never be happy at any other school. My third was when I was granted tenure this spring. Saint Rose is now my permanent home and family. I know there will be more highlights along the way!”
- What’s your favorite color? ”Pink! Think of the emotions this color evokes – carefree to intensely passionate.”
- Favorite place to eat in the Capital Region? “Jack’s Oyster House. Between the amazing food, service, and history, it’s quite the place.”
- Favorite TV show? ”Here comes the blush, but Phineas and Ferb on the Disney Channel. It’s officially a show for my kids but I’ve been known to watch it without them and may or may not know most of the lines by heart.”
- What is the last book you read? ”I’m currently reading The Monsters of Templeton by Laura Groff.”
- If you could have one superpower, what would you choose? ”Make all the other drivers on the road follow the driving laws (no turning signal is one of my pet peeves).”
“I graduated from Colonie Central High School. I’ve been married to my college sweetheart, Bryan, for 12 years. We have two children: Emma is 9 and Colin is 8. Emma started learning the violin this year and Colin is a creative writer. It’s a roller coaster ride with them, but I wouldn’t trade my life for anything.
Under ‘Odd Coincidences,’ my first home was one of the buildings on Madison Ave that’s now part of the Saint Rose campus. I was born at Albany Medical Center and my parents brought me home to their basement apartment.”
Thank you Dr. Gordon for kicking off our 2012-2013 faculty blog series! Please feel free to comment below with any questions you might have for Dr. Gordon.