Dr. Karen McGrath, Communications Department, Professor and Chair (has been with Saint Rose since 1997)
- Where did you attend school? CUNY @ York College in Speech, then on to SUNY Albany for a Masters in Communication, and finally at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale for a Ph.D. in Speech
Communication with a concentration in Philosophy of Communication.
- Where have you been employed? Besides odd jobs here or there, SIU-Carbondale (1 year) then the remaining time here at Saint Rose.
- Did you always want to teach? No. I thought I would be a journalist or writer of short stories. Then, computers were the “new thing” in the 80s. But, teaching became a passion when I encountered my mentor, Dr. James Como at York College.
- What classes do you teach at Saint Rose? Communication and Culture, Gender and Communication, Media Literacy, Conflict Management, and other courses as appropriate.
- Highlight of academic career, thus far: Defending my dissertation with its analytic focus on Seinfeld on April Fool’s Day in 1996.
- What’s your favorite color? All shades of blue
- Favorite place to eat in the Capital Region? Too many to list as I am always trying new places with family and friends.
- What is the last book you read? Chaz Bono’s Transition was the most recent but the more memorable book was Lisa Genova’s Still Alice (very real)
- If you could have one superpower, what would you choose? Invisibility. It would be nice to be heard but not seen on many occasions! And, a great way to get away from the abundance of meetings we have on campus
Travel is good for the soul. Reading is good for the mind. Massages are good for the body. Loving is good for the heart. Thinking about each of these rather than doing each of these is detrimental to one’s life.—McGrath, 2012
Dr. McGrath helps contribute to The College of Saint Rose–Communication Majors or Alum (department Facebook group) and can also be found at http://karenmcgrath.weebly.com. Please comment here if you have any questions for Dr. McGrath.