Dr. Brian Jensen, Phsycial and Biological Science Department, Associate Professor. Has been with Saint Rose since 2004.
- Where did you attend school?Siena College for BS in Biology, University of Delaware for Ph.D. in comparative physiology
- Where have you been employed? Before I finished school I worked the standard teenage jobs – Burger King, clerk in a clothing store (Annie Sez), NYPIRG canvasser, waiter and bartender. After finishing school I have worked as a post-doc at the University of Delaware and the University of Pennsylvania, and as a faculty member at Manhattanville College.
- Did you always want to teach? I didn’t know I wanted to teach until I was forced to when I was graduate student. Once I started I really liked the challenge.
- What classes do you teach at Saint Rose? I teach physiology related courses, so Human Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, Comparative Animal Physiology, Comparative Vertebrate Biology, and Marine Ecology.
- Highlight of academic career, thus far: Every year I take my Marine Ecology course to Cape Cod for a week of field work, always have a great time and feel the students learn a lot.
- What’s your favorite color? Mauve, because it is nice to say “mauve.”
- Favorite place to eat in the Capital Region? Depends on mood – For a sandwich, Rangonese Italian Imports Combo; For BBQ, Pig Pit in Cohoes; For those tiny hotdogs, Famous Lunch in Troy; Chicken Wings, The Ruck in Troy; For Sushi, Sake Cafe on New Scotland…I like to eat…a lot.
- Favorite TV show? For mindless entertainment, Parks and Recreation
- What is the last book you read?Prince Bertram the Bad by Arnold Lobel…I have kids.
- If you could have one superpower, what would you choose? Grade-a-spa-deedee, so I could grade papers accurately and quickly.
Hopefully one of these days I am going to build a marine biology course for non-science majors.
“Like” the Saint Rose Marine Ecology Facebook page to see what’s going on in the department. For more information about the Anatomy and Physiology department, see a post with Dr. Jensen from our “All About Saint Rose” segments. If you have any questions or comments for Dr. Jensen, feel free to post them here.
Dr. Jensen has been featured on WAMC Radio’s “Academic Minute.” Listen to his segment about lawn pesticides and fish here.