Dr. Steven Hoff, licensed psychologist and associate professor of school psychology, recently held a virtual workshop for school counselors and other education professionals where he shared strategies for helping students to manage anxiety.
Watch the recording of the virtual session here.
The PowerPoint presentation used during the session can be found here.
Here are some of the resources Dr. Hoff recommends:
• Rathus, J. H., & Miller, A. L. (2015). DBT®skills manual for adolescents. Guilford Press. DBT Skills Manual for Adolescents
• Crowder, A., Elsenraat, T., Hull, R., & Phifer, L. (2017). CBT Toolbox for Children and Adolescents. PESI Publishing. CBT Toolbox for Children and Adolescents
• Pincus, D.B., Ehrenreich, J.T., & Spiegel, D.A. (2008). Riding the Wave Workbook. Oxford University Press. Riding the Wave of Panic
• Plum Village – Thich Nhat Hanh
• Yoga Pretzels, Guber, Kalish & Fatus (2005)
• Germer, C. K., & Siegel, R. D. (Eds.). (2012). Wisdom and compassion in psychotherapy: Deepening mindfulness in clinical practice. The Guilford Press. (See the attached “Reflections for the Helper” document)
• Helping Children Cope with Changes from COVID – The National Association of School Psychologists
Resources for helping students who have experienced trauma
- Commentary: Developmental Trauma Disorder: A Missed Opportunity in the DSM V, from the Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Supporting Students Experiencing Childhood Trauma: Tips for Parents and Educators, National Association for School Psychologists
- Resilience and Child Traumatic Stress, The National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Child Trauma Toolkit for Educators, The National Child Traumatic Stress Network